Philosophy of Logic, Philosophy of
Mathematics, Decision Theory, Environmental Philosophy, Ecology and Conservation Biology.
Current Research Projects
Formal Approaches to Legal Reasoning (ARC funded), Laws, Models and Analogies in Ecology (ARC funded), Mathematical Notation (ARC funded),
Mathematical Explanation (ARC funded), Decision and Risk in Environmental Science,
Group Decision Methods (DAFF funded),
Ecological Allometries (STIAS funded).
Selected Recent Papers
- 'Mathematical Models and Analogical Reasoning', in S. Wuppuluri, and A.C. Greyling (eds.), Words and Worlds: Use and Abuse of Analogies and Metaphors within Sciences and Humanities, Springer (forthcoming).
- 'The Prospects for a Monist Theory of Non-causal Explanation in Science and Mathematics', Erkenntnis, forthcoming.
(Coauthors: Alexander Reutlinger
and Karolina Krzyżanowska)
- 'Non-Naturalistic Moral Explanation', Synthese, Vol. 198, No. 5 (May 2021), 4273–94. (Coauthors: Sam Baron,
Kristie Miller, and Michael Rubin)
- 'Explanation Impossible', Philosophical Studies, Vol. 178, No. 2 (February 2021), 559–76.
(Coauthor: Sam Baron)
- 'A Counterfactual Approach to Explanation in Mathematics', Philosophia Mathematica (3), Vol. 28, No. 1 (February 2020), 1–34.
(Coauthors: Sam Baron and David Ripley)
- 'Legal Probabilism: A Qualified Defence', Journal of Political Philosophy, Vol. 27, No. 4 (December 2019), 448–68. (Coauthor: Brian Hedden)
- 'The End of Mystery', American Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 56, No. 3 (July 2019), 247–64.
(Coauthor: Sam Baron)
- 'The Ins and Outs of Mathematical Explanation', Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 40, No. 4 (December 2018), 26–9.
Reprinted in M. Pitici (ed.), The Best Writing on Mathematics 2020, Princeton University Press, 2020, pp. 189–97.
- 'Two Flavours of Mathematical Explanation', in A. Reutlinger and J. Saatsi (eds.),
Explanation Beyond Causation, Oxford University Press, 2018, pp. 231–49. (Coauthors: John Cusbert
and Kelvin McQueen)
- 'The Limits of Subtraction', The Australasian Philosophical Review, Vol. 1, No. 2 (September 2017), 168–72.
- 'Biodiversity and Triage', in H. Leitgeb, I. Niiniluoto, E. Sober, and P. Seppälä (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th Congress of Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science: Models and Modelling, College Publications, 2017, pp. 421–35.
- 'How Mathematics Can Make a Difference', Philosophers' Imprint, Vol. 17, No. 3 (January 2017), 1–19. (Coauthors: Sam Baron
and David Ripley)
- 'Value of Information and Monitoring in Conservation Biology', Environment, Systems and Decisions, Vol. 36, No. 3 (September 2016), 302–9.
- 'Making Ado without Expectations', Mind, Vol. 125, No. 499 (July 2016), 829–57.
(Coauthor: Alan Hájek)
- 'Time Enough for Explanation', The Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 113, No. 2 (February 2016), 61–88. (Coauthor: Sam Baron)
For a complete publication list and many downloadable papers, see Mark's Research
For publications listed by topic, see Mark's Publications by Topic.
Other Activities and
Past President of the Society for Risk Analysis (Australia and New Zealand) (2013);
Past President of the Australasian Association of Philosophy (2005–2006);
Member of the editorial boards of Australasian Journal of Philosophy (2003–),
Philosophia Mathematica (2019–),
Conservation Letters (2011–2021),
and The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic (2009–2017).